January 29, 2006

On the Waterfront (1954)

5/5

"I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody. Instead of a bum, which is what I am. It was you, Charlie." These immortal words spoken by Marlon Brando remain in the memory of anyone who has seen this unforgettable film. I think it's hard to realize Brando's screen presence shrinks all supporting actors' performances that they seem laughable, where in any other film they would be lauded. That's not all that's diminished by Brando's strengths. The cinematography is crisp, well-composed, and very often evocative of a mood derived from the angle from which it's shot. Kazan's personal history with the subject matter presented no doubt elicited a more intense involvement with the film, allowing it to surpass most directorial efforts. The symbolism is so obvious when you look for it, but because you are taken in with every word the actors speak, every evolution of the story, you don't realize it until after multiple viewings. And believe me, you'll want to see this movie again.
IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0047296/