July 30, 2006

Gandhi (1982)

4/5

This three-hour epic is everything an epic should be: monumental, expansive, and stirring. The pacing is excellent for the most part (even though I thought the last third dragged on quite a bit). This is helped by the stellar script, which expounded on an incredible philosophy extremely well. I found it eye-opening and informative and recommend it to anyone interested in the man or the country. The acting by Ben Kingsley was consistently brilliant.

There were some things I didn't like in this otherwise great film. I always feel a little bit cheated when a biopic only shows one side of its subject: in this case, Gandhi's sacrifice for his country. It makes him less three-dimensional and takes away from the overall film. (I hated Cinderella Man for that same reason--Russell Crowe's character was pure good with no flaws.) I also hated the use of news reels to tell the story for them; I consider it sloppy filmmaking. Also, although infrequent, some scenes seemed unnecessarily or excessively violent.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0083987/