June 07, 2007

Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)

3/5

The first time I saw this I was much younger and hated it, mostly because I absolutely loved the first Austin Powers movie and thought it didn't live up to the original. But with age, I have grown to enjoy this much more. I laughed an embarrassing amount while watching this (on a quiet airplane, no less), despite the horrendous candy-ditz acting by Heather Graham. There were a lot of unspoken, subtle jokes that I got this time, as well as movie references, that allowed me to experience the movie anew. The comedy was painfully bad sometimes and the jokes occasionally got old or went on for too long, but the movie overall was hilarious. I enjoyed the music very much, as well as the 60's style camerawork and editing. And really, that's all you should be looking for in an Austin Powers movie. It's a lot of fun. I don't really know why I'm writing this review, since the only people who are interested in this movie have probably already seen it. But if you haven't and are interested, feel free check it out.

Note: I saw an edited-for-TV version of this on an airplane with distractions (a baby kept kicking my seat) and a portion of the movie had its audio cut for an announcement from the pilot.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0145660/