March 27, 2011

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend (2010)

2/5

My Girlfriend's Boyfriend is a romantic comedy about two men, Ethan (Gorham) and Troy (Landes), who are both in love with one woman (Milano). Ethan is a struggling writer, a nice guy who loves kids and cheesy dates. Troy is a successful ad executive, a less desperate nice guy who can shower her with attention and fancy gifts. The movie ends with an unexpected twist, which I won't reveal if by the slightest off-chance you're interested in seeing this movie, but that's about all it has going for it. The writing and acting are atrocious. Everything feels written and staged; nothing feels genuine. Which is also why there's no chemistry between any of the leads. And there are a lot of random events and bizarre scenarios that are never really explained. Also, the character Ethan looks a LOT like Ethan Hawke, only gawkier and uglier, and it kept distracting me. Also, the technical aspects are blah. We stopped watching halfway through, after which point I decided I would have been happy to never revisit it. I'm happy it didn't end as crappy as it began, but I wouldn't watch it again just for that twist ending.


IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1447793/