November 07, 2011

Sharktopus (2010)

1/5

For being an "original Syfy movie," Sharktopus is about as unoriginal as they come. In this bizarre fantasy world, the US Navy has created a shark-octopus hybrid killing machine to keep our waters safe from drug runners, despite that job belonging to the US Coast Guard. When Sharktopus gets loose, Nathan Sands (Roberts) sends his scientist daughter (Lane) with a hunky boat driver (Bursin) to track it down and recapture it while he drinks scotch and video chats. The terrible script is made worse by awful "acting," although I honestly don't know if this monstrosity would be any better with good acting. The more believable performances almost seem out of place. The actors were likely cast for their lack of acting ability, as every word comes from idiots reading a script without realizing "scared" denotes their emotion. The male lead is shirtless most of the movie and seems to enjoy flexing his pecs for our apparent enjoyment, although it comes off as kind of circus freak-ish. Actresses are noticeably sucking in their stomachs in a pitiful attempt to look skinnier on camera. And that brings me to the special effects, which are laugh out loud bad. I think the screenshot I've included in this review insults the movie far more than my words ever could. I really have nothing more to say about that.


To summarize, this is a B monster movie with C actors, D filmmaking, and F special effects. This film was followed by another original Syfy movie, Supergator, which I passed on. I suggest you pass on any original Syfy movie you come across. You can thank me later.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1619880/