December 18, 2013

Sharknado (2013)


1/5

Sharknado is a movie about a tornado that rains hungry sharks down on LA. Its tagline is "Enough Said," which is appropriate, since that is all you need to know about it. It is astonishing--literally jaw-dropping--how awful this movie is. I'm not sure I have the words to adequately quantify how bad it is, but I'll give it a shot.

First, the script. It is mind-numbingly stupid. Its existence is unfathomable. Watching the characters think and act is an exercise in suspending disbelief. Second, the special effects. Syfy's CG department has not advanced one bit since Sharktopus. In fact, if I were the person who worked on the special effects for this movie, I would probably intentionally excise it from my resume. They leave essentials like textures and lighting by the wayside, where the cinematography, editing, and acting sit as well. Third, the "director," and I use that term loosely. Mr. Ferrante intercuts scenes from unrelated b-roll with tight shots of line-reading, splicing together shots from different times of day with different ambient lighting temperatures as if they're all from the same scene.

This movie is absolutely engrossing, but only because it's so absurd. Much like Movie 43, it's hard to turn your eyes away. You will always underestimate how much worse the movie can get. I do have to say that watching it let me catch up on some sleep. And I was actually struck by how good the Dodge Ram and Lowe's commercials were in comparison to this garbage. Honestly, I don't know why I keep subjecting myself to the Syfy Original Movie torture. I need to stop.