August 16, 2014

The Signal (2014)


3/5

The Signal is a movie I had not known about until I read a positively glowing review from The Verge. Now I know not to watch a movie I had previously had no interest in watching based solely on their reviews. Silly me. The movie purports to be about three MIT students who chase a hacker into the middle of the desert and find themselves quarantined by government-types. It is 90 minutes of slow-paced mystery with portentious cinematography and slow reveals that are meant to blow your mind. Unfortunately, the script isn't nearly interesting enough to do anything close to that, even with its "twist ending." Honestly, the best part about the movie was the atmosphere you find yourself immersed in; it's creepy and unsettling and disorienting, like the very best horror/sci-fi movies. But that's not enough to make me recommend this movie.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2910814/