February 11, 2007

Princess Tam Tam (1935)

3/5

I didn't know going in that this movie was supposed to be a comedy, so I was pleasantly surprised. My favorite part about the movie was the use of transitions in the beginning (they sort of deteriorated after the first fifteen to twenty minutes, but they were awesome fun while they lasted). It would cut so that the composition stayed the same, while the people and places changed. For example, he cut from the shadows of a couple in France to the shadows of another couple in Tunisia.

A lot of the movie felt out of place. I don't think the director was very good. He reminds me of Ed Wood; he had big ideas, but a small budget and no editing talent. The acting was over-the-top. There were sound problems. It went into song and dance, which I wasn't expecting, more often than I would have liked. All in all, not a bad movie. It was pretty fun to watch, especially because I liked those gimmicky transitions.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0026891/