October 21, 2009

Clueless (1995)

4/5

Clueless is a surprisingly entertaining teen comedy that manages to stand the test of time despite being entrenched in 90's culture, lingo, and fashion. (As opposed to Swingers, which is also entrenched in the 90's, but cannot quite escape its time period.) The plot follows the popular, affluent 16-year-old Cher (Silverstone) who feels compelled to help others, and does so by taking the new girl in school Tai (Murphy) under her wing. Her unrelated ex-step-brother Josh (Rudd) is also in town to help their shared litigator father (Hedaya) with a big case and is giving Cher the headache of a lifetime. As far as teen comedies go, I have to say that this is one of the best I've seen. I loved Can't Hardly Wait in high school, but Clueless, despite its slant to girls, is definitely better.

The movie is funny, no doubt about it. I found myself laughing far more than I thought I would. The dialogue is sharp and witty and there's little lingering or pausing for jokes, making the whole movie very appropriately paced. The plot was somewhat confusing at first, trying to get everybody's names and social statuses in check, but after that it was smooth sailing. What amazed me the most about this movie is that Alicia Silverstone's outfits and hair styles still look so good, despite her dressing very fashionably for the 90's. (Compare to old episodes of Friends of Seinfeld and you'll see what I'm talking about.) Technically, there was nothing impressive about the movie. The montages were a bit kitschy, especially at the end, but nothing too off-putting. All in all, a very appealing teen comedy and one that I think everyone in our age group should see.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112697/