September 24, 2007

The Pervert's Guide to Cinema (2006)

3/5

The Pervert's Guide to Cinema is a fun excursion into the psychoanalytical world of films, using mostly Hitchcock's works, Lynch's films, several by Tarkovsky and Kieslowski, along with clips here and there of some others. It is sometimes hilarious, often thought-provoking, and always interesting. The best thing I can say about this movie is that it really engages you and hopes to get you as excited about cinema as he is. At 2.5 hours, however, it is about 50 minutes too long. I came in knowing there were three parts, and before we even got to the third part, I thought to myself that this movie should wrap itself up right about now. Another complaint is that he kept cutting to a background of himself in front of a completely white background, which really hurt my eyes, at least 20 or 30 times in the movie. One other cool thing I commend is that he would place himself in famous scenes. It was funny at first, but kind of lost its meaning halfway through. I did like the effort though. But the best part about the movie is Zizek's accent. This is definitely worth watching for any fans of the aforementioned directors, or for any real film fans, although be warned that he spoils the plot of some movies, so go in prepared.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0828154/