March 23, 2008

Margot at the Wedding (2007)

2/5

Margot at the Wedding is the reason I hate independent films. With mainstream movies, you more or less know what you're gonna get. With indie crap, they're always a risk: sometimes they pleasantly surprise you, but more often than not they disappoint you and waste your time. Throughout the movie, the characters echoed my sentiments at the bizarre actions of every other character: "What?" Confusion reigns supreme in this dreck. It tries too hard to be the weird, unique indie film for the sake of being that weird, unique indie film that it forgets to tell a story, any story. Strange things happen for no apparent reason. It tries to be a slice-of-life piece, but the characters are simply too unbelievable to exist in any life that can be sliced.

To its credit, I thought Kidman's transformation into an obscenely crazy person was impressive. And a lot of the jokes were really funny. My favorite line of the movie: "My scrotum's longer than my penis." Still, these are not enough to justify the rest of this movie. After seeing The Squid and the Whale, I thought I liked Noah Baumbach. I was very incorrect.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0757361/