March 31, 2009

I Love You, Man (2009)

3/5

I Love You, Man is an above average comedy. It wasn't bad, but I expected much better given its stellar cast. Jason Segel was better in Forgetting Sarah Marshall (and How I Met Your Mother) and Paul Rudd was better in Role Models (and Knocked Up). The plot was just as forgettable as the characterization and acting. Despite having the gender of the main character's conquest reversed (as has been done countless times on various sitcoms), I Love You, Man's plot was exactly the same as every other romantic comedy. It started with the countless failed blind dates, then progressed to hitting it off with the perfect guy, and finally ended with the expected betrayal of trust and eventual redemption. I've seen it a thousand times before and it wasn't all that much better this time; the whole package was merely at an acceptable level of laughs. Watch it if you want a quick laugh, but don't expect another hit comedy.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1155056/