October 12, 2009

Paranormal Activity (2007)

2/5

Paranormal Activity was not a good movie for anyone who's seen the trailer. You've already seen all the exciting parts! And it's probably not a good movie for anyone who hasn't seen the trailer. It's just not a good movie overall. The plot follows the unbelieving Micah (Sloat) after he buys an HD camera to document the "demonic hauntings" of his easily scare-able girlfriend Katie (Featherston). It slowly progresses as a series of ominous noises, rustling bedsheets, and fickle light switches until the final climactic five minutes. And I mean slowly. The pacing is atrocious. It bores instead of building tension. Except it thinks it's building tension, so it goes on and on and on when nothing actually happens.

Being shot entirely on a cheap camera by the actors may have sounded like a great idea for a low-budget horror film trying to copy on the success of The Blair Witch Project, but it just made the movie ugly and aggravating to the viewers. I'm certain the movie would have been at least twice as good had it been shot in a traditional style; nothing was gained by being a self-shot "movie within a movie." I suppose it tried to make it seem as if it were archival footage from a true occurrence, but it didn't work because we knew it was all fake. I went to see this movie because my cousin said he was afraid to sleep afterwards. The only reason I'd be unable to sleep is knowing I wasted my money and time on this subpar "horror" flick. Pass.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1179904/