March 13, 2010

Our Family Wedding (2010)

3/5

Our Family Wedding is a thoroughly unsurprising romantic comedy about an interracial couple and dysfunctional family dynamics. It is predictable from beginning to end, but that never stopped it from being funny and tender. In fact, I actually laughed a lot more than I thought I would. And I was surprised to find that I liked Forest Whitaker a lot more than I thought I would. The plot follows the young couple Lucia (Ferrera) and Marcus (Gross) as they announce to their families that they will be getting married in two weeks before going to Laos for volunteer work. Both fathers (Whitaker, Mencia) are appalled and disgusted by the other family, but they decide to put up with each other and help plan the wedding for the sake of their kids.

The technical aspects of the film are nothing to write home about. They varied between acceptable and subpar most of the time. The written characters were archetypes instead of individuals, but the acting made them stand out and round out. The story copied a lot of elements from Guess Who (and had the expected sight gags and cheap jokes that audiences have come to expect in movies where "traditional" parents find out their children are in "nontraditional" interracial relationships), but it also brought some new points of view to the table. All in all, the movie is about what you'd expect given the trailer. So if you're looking for that kind of movie, I'm sure you'll get what you were looking for.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1305583/