July 01, 2010

It's Complicated (2009)

3/5

It's Complicated is a benign piece of entertainment that follows divorced couple Jane (Streep) and Jake (Baldwin) Adler. Jake cheated on Jane 10 years ago with the much-younger Agness (Bell) and ended up marrying her; he is now cheating on his current wife Agness with his ex-wife Jane. Jane isn't convinced that it will work out again with Jake, even if he leaves Agness, and finds a budding romance in her new architect Adam (Martin). She tries balancing her two men, but finds it far too complicated and decides that she must pick one. Who will she pick?

The writing and acting worked well together, delivering impeccable comic timing. Unfortunately, the movie as a whole isn't as funny as I know the writer and actors to be capable of, nor is it as meaningful or interesting. And that is the worst part about the movie for me: I couldn't really understand what the characters were going through. I mean, I could imagine what they were going through, but the movie presented all of its content in such a comical and flamboyant manner that I can't say I'm anywhere closer to understanding divorce than before I saw this movie. I'm not saying the movie has an obligation to do this, and in fact the movie works as a simple 2 hour escape, but I was just hoping that it would be closer to Meyers's previous The Holiday. The movie as a whole turned out rather bland for me (maybe I was just expecting too much), but it will certainly suffice for someone looking for a romantic comedy with old people making out (and undressing).

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1230414/