November 12, 2006

Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)

1/5

Wow. This is perhaps the most disappointing movie I have ever seen. I desperately wanted to like it; I thought it would be a masterpiece. It was like anticipating The Godfather and getting The Hot Chick. This is the first time in a long time, maybe even ever, that I felt like walking out of the theater halfway through.

The acting, as in all Bresson movies, is completely flat. The dialogue is there merely to get from one place to the next. Reviewers have called this movie a staggering emotional masterpiece, but I cannot feel emotion for characters I am completely separated from. This separation is a direct result of Bresson's desire for "austere," "pure" images. The music was bare yet melodramatic in its usage, blatantly attempting to evoke emotion that the actors were not allowed to generate. Bresson decided not to explain any character's motivations, perhaps hoping the audience would chalk it up to human nature and how people sometimes act illogically; this decision made the movie not only confusing, but also insulting to the viewer.

I found absolutely no redeeming qualities in this movie. It was a complete and utter waste of 95 minutes of my life.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0060138/