November 28, 2007

Reign Over Me (2007)

4/5

Mike Binder's Reign Over Me is an emotionally satisfying if not deeply complex movie. The story follows the relationship between former college roommates Alan Johnson (Don Cheadle) and Charlie Fineman (in a surprisingly competent performance by Adam Sandler), a man whose life was turned upside down after his entire family died in the September 11 attacks. The story is simple, predictable, but heartfelt. The diverse panoply of characters was intriguing, but I felt it distracted too much from the emotional crux of the story. I really loved the music choices; they were effective without being overpowering. I especially loved BJ Novak's small role, although it was vastly overshadowed by Donald Sutherland's cameo. The cinematography was beautiful, but I hated the editing--too many fades that ruined the pacing and completely took me out of the movie. Even so, I suggest you check it out if you saw the trailer or a commercial or read this review and got interested in it; I doubt you'll be disappointed.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0490204/