December 03, 2007

Paprika (2006)

3/5

Paprika is an eye-popping visual feat of a movie. It is breathtaking, it is wondrous, it just doesn't make any sense. To be fair, I went in too tired to give it my rapt attention. I dozed off every now and again. I admit that is was beautiful and inventive, but other than that, what did it have to offer? The plot was rather trite except for absolutely ludicrous claims like dreams and the internet being the same. There were moments of extreme hilarity, but they felt forced and out of place. I didn't really take much out of the movie. But it does encourage me that Japanese animation truly is reaching for the stars. If only there were a way to combine Japanese ambition with American storytelling, then we'd have a winner.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0851578/