November 17, 2007

Wordplay (2006)

3/5

I love crosswords, so I loved this movie. Despite all my bashings, which I will do throughout the course of this review, I enjoyed myself thoroughly and recommend it to anyone at all who enjoys a good crossword puzzle. It is funny and enlightening throughout, as it takes us into the perspective of the creator, the editor, and the solver. That being said, this movie has more than its fair share of flaws. First of all, it's shot in SD, not HD, so it looks terrible. Second, you can see the filmmakers scurrying around in the background setting up cameras for the final tournament; terribly distracting. So really, just terribly terrible technically. A couple of the stories and talks seemed extended or out of nowhere, as if just to fill time and make it feature length. The editing was subpar, as I could hear every audio cut from different takes/times, but the special effects were amazing, specifically the filling in of the spaces on the puzzle. Overall, very enjoyable but cinematically lacking (kind of like Karl Rove, I Love You, although that movie was better than this one).

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0492506/