January 12, 2008

A Man for All Seasons (1966)

3/5

A Man for All Seasons tells the story of Thomas More and his refusal to acknowledge King Henry VIII's divorce from Catherine and marriage to Anne Boleyn. For some unexplained reason, the king wants--no, needs--his approval. And since he won't give it, they put him on trial for high treason and detate his cappa, as Michael Scott would put it. I was not a big fan of the movie. I couldn't get involved in the story, as none of the characters' actions or motivations were explained or even hinted at. The first half an hour bored me half to death--I could not even sate my desire to look at something interesting due to sparse set design and drab costuming.

Still, not all was bad. The cinematography and music were merely humdrum. And there was some good stuff. There were some tense scenes and a really powerful ending (slightly marred by a worthless voice-over afterwards). Paul Scofield's acting was quite magnificent. Though I disagree with his opinion and his steadfastness, I could still respect him. All in all, not recommended, but feel free to enjoy it if that's your bag.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0060665/