January 01, 2008

Read My Lips (2001)

4/5

Read My Lips is a nail-biting, character-based French crime thriller. In it, we see a painfully real portrait of an average woman wanting to be more attractive, more successful, but above all more normal. As the movie progresses, these layers are revealed in a subtle, nuanced performance by Emmanuelle Devos. It reminded me very much of the protagonist in Walter Salles's Central Station--imperfect, making mistakes, and changing ever so slowly. The other characters are somewhat less developed in my opinion, but her partner in crime is played pitch-perfectly by Vincent Cassel. I wasn't as impressed with his performance here as I have been in other movies he's been in, but it was still remarkably spot-on.

In comparison to the other Audiard movie I've seen (The Beat That My Heart Skipped), this one is more plot-oriented and less of a character study. That being said, it still has incredibly strong and believable characters. And a tense, engaging plot from the very beginning. I knew nothing about the story going in, but was pulled in and couldn't escape its grasp until released at its finale. This is in large part due to unerring editing and pacing, matched by beautiful cinematography and evocative aural and visual post-production choices. Still, some plot elements at the end didn't make much sense. And I didn't understand the side story with the parole officer looking for his wife. It was just bizarre. Highly recommended for anyone who enjoys tense crime thrillers and/or Jacques Audiard.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0274117/