June 26, 2009

The Thin Man (1934)

3/5

The Thin Man, despite all the critical acclaim and crossword hoopla, is little more than a simple detective comedy. The plot is more convoluted than a film noir, with characters that look oddly similar to other characters and unnamed coppers and gangsters appearing and disappearing randomly. If I understood it better, I might give you a synopsis. Instead, I do not even know to whom the title refers. Hand in hand with its tortuous plot is its rather tepid, ordinary dialogue. The writing as a whole is average at best and boring at worst. The same could be said about the rest of the technical aspects of the film, from cinematography to editing.

So far, I'm painting the picture as a rather humdrum one. But the acting of the two leads (William Powell and Myrna Loy) as Nick and Nora Charles truly elevates the film above its mediocre components. Their playful antics and face-making, their incorrigible yet lovable dog Asta, and their unflappable sousing all come together to make an indelible impression on the audience. I can see why they made five sequels starring the couple. Despite my praise for the leads, they weren't on screen enough for me to make this movie worth it. I want more Nick and Nora. And Asta. I don't picture myself watching the sequels because I don't know if I can sit through all the subpar qualities engulfing their talent.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025878/