June 01, 2009

High School Musical 3: Senior Year (2008)

3/5

High School Musical 3 is definitely the best of the series, objectively speaking. Die-hard fans will tell you that each has their own unique positive qualities, but in reality this one is the one with the most merit. The songs are vastly superior, the dances are much less awkward, and the overall production quality is easier on the eyes and ears. The director's creativity shines through once more, in both the simple but heartfelt songs and the frenetic dance numbers. This is actually the first time I found myself with a High School Musical song stuck in my head--two, in fact! Also, there are a number of inside jokes that only true fans will appreciate (and point out to the oblivious non-true fans), which is kind of cool I guess.

But in some respects, this movie was the same as the previous ones. The humor is just as innocent, the dialogue is just as cheesy, and the plot is just as predictable. But that's what makes it a Disney movie, and that's what gives it the charm and playfulness its huge female tween fanbase have come to love and expect. But I don't know how to recommend this movie. I wouldn't recommend watching this movie without watching the first two, but I wouldn't recommend watching the first two. So I don't really know where that leaves us. Oh well, make up your own mind!

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0962726/