July 05, 2008

Cloverfield (2008)

4/5

Cloverfield, produced by the seemingly unstoppable JJ Abrams, is a remarkably thrilling and engaging monster/disaster movie. It kept me on the edge of my seat nearly the entire time. The brilliant marketing campaign (mysterious trailer, viral websites, etc.) created a hype that it was actually able to meet. And I'm sure it will become a cult classic very quickly. I was a bit skeptical, although intrigued, when I first heard that it was to be entirely hand-held POV, but it performed past my expectations. Coming to the movie as a filmmaker, I know how unrealistic much of the POV explanations were. Many shots wouldn't have been edited, wouldn't have been as steady, and wouldn't have even existed (the camera probably would have been left behind a number of times). Still, these sacrifices were made for the sake of the audience and the story, and it was never so bad that I was unable to suspend my disbelief. (Cleaning the blood off the camera lens with his shirt was a bit laughable though.)

The special effects were absolutely phenomenal. I have no idea how they did what they did, but they deserve some serious congratulations. Sound design, editing, and cinematography were all above average. The acting was believable and I felt like I got to know the characters well. The cameraman was a bit too glib given the situation, but his humor went much appreciated by me. The backstories of all the characters, including the monster, were surprisingly fleshed out, considering the relatively simple storyline and short runtime. Beyond these technical aspects is the mood, the atmosphere, the experience of watching it. And I must say, it was exhilarating. There were scenes of pulse-pounding tension (the spider attack) and tender emotions (the phone call with his mother). The movie did not try to explain everything, but it explained enough to satisfy you while simultaneously keeping you curious. There were flaws--the biggest being a rather weak ending--but none that can't be ignored. And none that will ruin the movie. I highly recommend it. JJ Abrams knows how to give the people what they want.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1060277/