July 24, 2008

The Mummy (1999)

2/5

I will, for once, start out my review by saying that it is an unfair assessment. I was not paying attention for most of the movie due to a number of distractions, mostly involving volume, exhaustion, and my contact lenses. (For example, I did not realize that the female protagonist was Rachel Weisz until I looked it up on IMDb later to write this very review you are now reading!) However, I remain confident in my reviewing abilities and am fairly certain my star rating is accurate, give or take 0.5 stars (which I don't use anyway).

To get more to the point: The Mummy takes place in the mid 1920's, except for an intro involving an overbearing voice-over narration, a nearly-nude Egyptian woman with a complicated and oft-repeated name, a pharaoh, a high priest, their love triangle, and an ancient curse involving reincarnation, which takes place ~3,500 years earlier. Back to the 1920's, Brendan Fraser, Rachel Weisz, and her onscreen brother go and wake the mummy up from the dead and then eventually send him back to the dead by film's end. The plot really is quite preposterous and predictable (Sameer figured it out 45 minutes in and then left). It reminded me of a mix between Aladdin, Star Wars, The Da Vinci Code, and The Ten Commandments.

I did actually notice a few shots that I thought were fantastic. Typically they were not, however. The editing and music did not do much; in fact, the mood was so dead for most of the movie that the rhythmic humming of a nearby dishwasher made the movie far more tense than it intended to be. I found the acting surprising, for two reasons. 1) Brendan Fraser was not as bad as I thought he'd be and 2) Rachel Weisz was not as good as I thought she'd be. The character I liked the most was Weisz's brother, who was always hilarious. The action itself was alright, although it never really held my attention. Neither did the first hour. Still, it will probably keep you glued to the screen if you find it playing on TV, whether you like it or not. So I guess that counts for something.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120616/