July 05, 2008

John Tucker Must Die (2006)

3/5

John Tucker Must Die is a silly high school comedy for all the girls who aren't actually in high school yet. Its juvenile humor, dialogue, and acting worked for its target audience, but not for me. The plot concerns three high school hotties who all have a "special bond"--not a relationship--with John Tucker, only to realize he's a true player and cares not the least for each of them. They team up with a new kid in school, Kate, to make her into the most sought after prize and have her reject him. The plot gets a little more complex, as she realizes she's falling for him and that he may be worthy of redemption, but she also gets closer to Tucker's brother Scott. I truly found myself on the edge of my seat wondering how it would end. Unfortunately, the ending is lame and unintelligent. A food fight is involved, as well as a reference to an earlier scene, in itself bad, made worse by repetition. Perhaps that was the best ending they could come up with to satisfy as many of its audience members as possible.

There were some really clever gags and practical jokes. And it was always fun to see how John Tucker would spin it so that he came out looking even better than before. It was actually a pretty funny movie throughout. Kyle will attest to me laughing at least 3 times in Google Talk in all caps. (It was late though, and I probably laugh more when it's late.) Still, I had a very good time watching it, until the disappointing ending. If you're forced to see this movie, I don't think you'll claw your eyes out. Hey, you might even be pleasantly surprised. But I wouldn't make any effort to see it.

Note: The only reason I saw this was because I know the screenwriter, Jeff Lowell, and was tricked into seeing his latest film, Over Her Dead Body. I was told that this one was better; it was, but not by much.

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455967/