May 22, 2007

Meduzot (2007)

4/5

Meduzot, or Jellyfish in English, is an Israeli movie dealing with several interconnecting stories. I really love Israeli cinema lately, after having seen this and The Band's Visit here at Cannes and Broken Wings earlier. I find them made with honesty, love, and emotion, and I really feel the heart of the story through the dialogue, acting, and tender shots. The movie is absolutely beautiful, with heart-breaking cinematography at times. The rest of the time, however, it just gets the job done. It had a good message that touched me, about the ineffectual nature of trying to take control of your life instead of letting it float like a boat. The themes were clear, but not heavy-handed--an exquisite balance, I thought. The music was quite good, but not quite great. The characters were well-defined, neither trite nor unique. I realize after writing this review that the movie was not technically exceptional, it was the emotional center of the movie that grabbed me and kept me in love with it. I highly recommend this movie if you like family dramas or emotional tales told with comedic edges.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0807721/