May 22, 2007

Mister Lonely (2007)

3/5

Mister Lonely is hands-down the weirdest movie I have seen at Cannes so far. It follows the life of a Michael Jackson impersonator who meets a Marilyn Monroe and joins her at a look-alike commune. Paralleled to this is the story of a father with nuns who can fly. There are some of the most bizarre images in this movie ever. It is a movie I would hate, but the humor lifts this movie from a 1 to a 2, and the soundtrack from a 2 to a 3. This movie also has hands-down the best soundtrack of any movie I've seen at Cannes so far. It makes the movie what it is; it would be nothing without the music. There are really really funny parts, mostly from the realistic portrayal of the offbeat characters and their offbeat actions. The cinematography is amazing as well, and so is the editing. And it was never boring.

I found the acting awful, and you only realize what the movie is about through the blunt, direct voice-over. There is no real point to the events that occur. I had no idea what was going on the entire time, or rather why what was happening was happening. I have yet to find a link between the two intercut stories. I don't know how I feel recommending this movie because it is exceptionally well-done, but I have no idea what it was trying to get across. Maybe you will have some luck, and if this sounds interesting to you, then check it out.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0475984/