May 21, 2007

El Baño del Papa (2005)

3/5

The Pope's Toilet, as it is translated in English, is not that great of a movie. In fact, I'd say it was probably my least favorite of the films up for Un Certain Regard. This might have been due to a difference of expectations, as I thought it would be a comedy, but in fact it ended up being a depressing family drama with a few funny parts. The shots somehow seemed raw and overprocessed at the same time. The composition and lighting was also not that great. I didn't think there was much of a story, as I felt it just went back and forth with a swath of unfulfilling subplots. The acting was okay, but nothing to write home about (despite my writing home about it here). The narrative felt exhausting; it took forever to tell its story. The music choice and placement seemed a bit odd overall. Nearly all the characters were selfish and I found it almost impossible to sympathize with them.

Even so, the story was quite engaging and it had me on the edge of my seat the entire time, wondering what was going to happen. And the movie really isn't that bad, it's just that I had much higher expectations given the other movies in the running for Un Certain Regard. I guess it just wasn't to my tastes.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0482901/