December 31, 2007

Kicking and Screaming (1995)

3/5

Kicking and Screaming follows a group of friends during and following their college graduation. It unsurprisingly strikes a personal chord with me, and I felt very close to the characters and their situation. It managed to be emotional without being melodramatic, sentimental without being saccharine, hilarious without being ludicrous. I liked the low-key, realistic acting and down-to-earth yet poetic writing. I especially liked the open ending and thought it was the right move. The cinematography is so-so, the editing below average. It took me a while to realize that some events were taking place in the past, which was terribly confusing. All in all, an excellent movie to watch when you're nostalgic for the end of college.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0113537/