December 28, 2007

Mississippi Mermaid (1969)

3/5

Mississippi Mermaid started out with an interesting premise, and from there it spiraled out of control. It was wholly unpredictable and for the most part better than I expected. I came in not knowing what it was about and found the experience to be quite engaging as a result, so I don't want to ruin the plot if anyone decides they want to see it. However, the story sometimes strayed into banality and boredom. Due to sub-par editing, nearly every single shot and scene went on for far longer than it needed to. I really liked the acting, but thought the script's dialogue was for the most part quite uninteresting. The cinematography actually surprised me; its quality is far superior to the rest of the technical aspects involved in this movie. I thought the music itself was fitting, but because of how the film was edited together, the music seemed off all the time. It kept me interested throughout, so if you're into Truffaut, this one might interest you.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0064990/