December 18, 2007

Superbad (2007)

3/5

Superbad is about two best friends trying to get laid at a big high school party before they graduate and go off to different colleges. I don't really know why it's called Superbad, since it's quite good. It's a funny movie, no doubt about that. I'm just disappointed after seeing the much more mature 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up. Mature in terms of character depth and story development. It seemed to me that those movies had a central emotional and thematic core around which the rest of the movie took place. Not so here; it really is as shallow as the plot outline I described above sounds. Additionally, 40 Year Old Virgin and Knocked Up were much more grounded in reality. But Superbad was so utterly ridiculous. It started off with people talking and being angry and hilarious, which I loved, but quickly deteriorated to the most ludicrous situations you can imagine. I got more and more dejected as the movie went on. But it is so funny. If you like to laugh, watch this movie. Seriously. It is amazing. And I had no idea penis drawings could be so hilarious.

IMDb link: http://imdb.com/title/tt0829482/